Author Topic: What ate my corn?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline kurt

What ate my corn?
« on: June 05, 2014, 09:43 PM »
My neighbor and I over in Zone 1 both had some critter ripping open the husks and munching on our corn right off the stalk. I was thinking raccoons, but then I heard from another gardener it might be rats (yuck). Anybody else have similar issues this year or in the past?

Unfortunately (and surprisingly), I don't have any pics of the damage in my plot, but my corn looked just like that in the attached pic.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:41 AM by sharonrempert »

Offline scgardenweb

• Administrator
Re: What ate my corn?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 05:17 AM »
Judging by the damage it is rats. Have you had any other damage? They nest in debris piles and overgrown vegetation in the garden. Work with your neighbors to remove these and keep the grass mowed. We do have a couple of gardeners that replace rat bait in the traps on a monthly basis.

Offline kurt

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 06:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply. They damaged most of the corn but not any other crops.

Offline Michael

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 04:18 PM »
That damage does look like a small climbing mammal...  Time to hire some Rat Snakes? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_snake
(but most are scared of snakes so probably wouldn't pass muster)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:41 AM by sharonrempert »

Offline CharlotteBeeOrganic

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Options:
1) Squirrels - To me this is more likely than rats.  Especially in Zone 1 with closest neighborhood squirrel habitat proximity. Many of us lose some items to squirrels -- some years more than others.  The squirrel is smart and dextrous at climbing...rats not so much.
2) Wild Green Parrots: In addition or alternatively, I think it might be our wild green parrots (aka monk parakeets.) They LOVE the seeds of the giant Sunflowers that some gardeners grow at Sunshine. They are expert at clinging and then "plucking" these kernels out of the flower heads. It seems logical that they would "seed" your corn in a similar fashion. 
3) Jays and grackles also love corn.