Author Topic: Khaki weed  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Berkley

Khaki weed
« on: April 20, 2014, 06:37 PM »
 >:(

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:33 AM by sharonrempert »

Offline Berkley

Re: Khaki weed
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 03:17 PM »
When I made the post above, I thought to myself (foolishly) that I hadn't seen any khaki weed this year. I just hadn't looked closely enough.  :-[ It's here, and soon it will be easy enough to see - and feel, for those who go barefoot!

Although the portion above ground (the tip) is still tiny, the root (the iceberg) is something else again. ???

And there are about a dozen plants per square foot, when you really start to look. :o

To imagine what that square foot will look like in a week, see the time lapse sequence in the first post above. :'(

Offline sharon

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:03 AM »
Here is a fact sheet on khaki weed.
It is native to South America.

Offline Berkley

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Lots of good (if somewhat depressing) information and photos.
Today I tried out a new tool - hoping to minimize collateral damage while bringing up as much root as possible, with some success.
One problem is that the stems often lead to roots without visible leaves!
And they are starting to flower, which means that hard, sharp stickers will be here shortly. :(

Offline Berkley

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 12:21 PM »
California Chrome isn't the only one pulling away from the pack.  With no rain, the deep taproots of the khaki weed are able to maintain its vigor, even as the grass withers.

Especially in bare areas where there is no competition, the thick mats are beginning to form.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:32 AM by sharonrempert »

Offline Berkley

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Today's task was clearing the patch of k-weed at the east side of the chimney swift tower (shown in the last picture above).
Considering the depth of the roots, and how dry and hard the soil is, I wasn't surprised that it was slow going.
End result of more than an hour's hard and careful digging - about a pint of k-weed with roots attached.
One side of the tower base is cleaned, but at this rate it will take a group of workers the size of a pharaoh's pyramid crew to clean the whole garden of k-weed. :(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:32 AM by sharonrempert »

Offline Berkley

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 11:44 PM »
The bad news is that the recent rains have caused the k-weed to flourish, and the large mats are beginning to spread.

The good news is that the moist soil is easier to dig in, and it's possible to remove even very long thin roots without breaking them if you are careful.

As I took today's harvest to the dumpster, I was happy to see that someone else had already disposed of a big pile of the nasty stuff.

Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:31 AM by sharonrempert »

Offline Berkley

What a day to dig khaki weed!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 12:49 PM »
What a day to dig khaki weed!
;D, he said, doing his best impersonation of Tom Sawyer whitewashing a fence.
Seriously, when the soil is as moist as it is today, digging the nasty stuff is very easy and productive.
It's possible to get an intact plant, with all its smaller roots unbroken. And it's also possible to extract an entire patch, from biggest to smallest members.
And, of course, what isn't dug today will really grow tomorrow. :(

Offline Berkley

The Khaki Weed Khronicles
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 12:41 PM »
Musings on day 81 of the campaign:

The good news: now that anything outside your garden is considered part of the common area, you'll be able to get in 8 hours of volunteer work while sitting down, just by digging khaki weed around your plot.
The bad news: if every gardener at Sunshine devoted all 8 hours just to digging khaki weed, it wouldn't put much of a dent in the total amount of the stuff.
Ila stopped by today as I was digging, and asked who was winning. I had a sudden vision of myself flashing the victory sign on a carrier deck. La Ghalib illa Allah, لا غالبَ إلا الله

Khaki weed is really an inspirational plant. Think how much energy and creativity Mother Nature puts into even the lowliest of Her creations -
Habits of a successful weed:
A. Start early.
Don't wait till you've reached ground level to start putting out new growth.
B.Diversify.
Don't settle for just one root, when you can grow two with only a little extra effort.
C. Be tenacious.
Even if your leaves are removed, if you are deeply rooted you can always grow new ones.

Offline Michael

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Mowing weeds may prevent them from going to seed, but they become "Bonsai Weeds" with strong and deep root systems over time.  The root systems of these weeds are many years old, which explains how they pop up so amazingly fast right after being mowed.  The only solution is to "Get to the root of the problem"...  Just root pluck 25 weeds a day, and in one month you'd have plucked 750 weeds, which makes a big impact on the weeds that are the oldest and largest.  Right after a nice rain, they pop out with the root intact much easier. You'll be surprised how quickly they can be thinned out with some persistence over time.  Make sure to wear gloves, as some of the weeds in SSG can irritate or have small prickly parts.

A technique that works to remove weeds is to gather up all of the plant in a bundle and grab it as close to the ground on the stalk as you can, then pull straight up.  Once you get the hang of it, your success rate at getting the taproot intact will increase.  In your mind, you can appreciate how the weeds may have fixed Nitrogen into the soil as well as aerated it with a nice taproot.  Finally, you can even "compost in place" thus returning the weed's nutrients directly back to the soil, assuming there are not seeds set, in which case to the dumpster they go.  The weeds you pluck will dessicate in the hot sun, and can then be mowed over with ease.