Author Topic: Growing Fingerling Potatoes and Yukon Golds - how it works fo rme!  (Read 844 times)

Offline Gail

• Members
Hi there, I am pasting in the information that I presented at the Potato Show and Tell a few weeks ago on how I grow fingerling potatoes and Yukon Gold potatoes (my first year for anything other than red potatoes at Sunshine).  Even though these instructions were for spring planting (Feb 15), fall planting time for potatoes is just ahead,,, usually Sept 15 with harvest around Thanksgiving (before the first freeze) so get those plots ready!!  Happy gardening, Gail
NAME OF POTATO:  Butter Cream Fingerling
SOURCE AND COST OF SEED:  Central Market organic potatoes, spent about $1.00 for 5 small potatoes (priced around $2.99/lb)
WHEN PLANTED:  Feb 15
WHEN HARVESTED:  May 22-25 (90+ days)
GROWING PROCESS (TRENCH, LAYERED MULCH, ETC):  Basically dug a 8-10 deep hole(in a well dug and augmented bed) and put one whole potato in each hole, then covered and laid the leaky hoses.  I added a 3-4 layer of leaves from the leaf pile (mulch) when the plants were about 12-15: high, then added a layer of compost, and mulched again, but all potato crop was growing in the original planting level, not up through the mulch layers.  The mulch helped to keep the roots cool and the leaky hoses were also at a relatively deep level. 
YIELD:  Good crop of mid-sized fingerling potatoes, 8-10 per start, as well as several that were yellow roundish potatoes, making me think there was some other seed potato in the group I bought and planted.
GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS, TASTE, TEXTURE, ETC.:  Very dense flesh, firm, not as sweet as red potatoes are when first dug, but very good for boiling, frying, creaming, potato salad, etc.  They were about thumb sized at the largest, and little toe sized at the smallest.
*****************************************************************************************
NAME OF POTATO:  French Fingerling
SOURCE AND COST OF SEED:  Central Market organic potatoes, spent about $1.00 for 5 small potatoes  (they were priced at 2.99/lb I think.  I saw them online as high as $16.xx per pound from potato seed websites.
WHEN HARVESTED:   May 22-25 (90+ days)
GROWING PROCESS (TRENCH, LAYERED MULCH, ETC):  Basically dug a 8-10 deep hole(in a well dug and augmented bed) and put one whole potato in each hole, then covered and laid the leaky hoses.  I added a 3-4 layer of leaves from the leaf pile (mulch) when the plants were about 12-15: high, then added a layer of compost, and mulched again, but all potato crop was growing in the original planting level, not up through the mulch layers.  The mulch helped to keep the roots cool and the leaky hoses were also at a relatively deep level. 
YIELD:  Good crop of mid-sized fingerling potatoes, 8-10 per start
GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS, TASTE, TEXTURE, ETC.:  Very dense flesh, firm, not as sweet as red potatoes are when first dug, but very good for boiling, frying, creaming, potato salad, etc.  They were about thumb sized at the largest, and little toe sized at the smallest.
NAME OF POTATO:  Peruvian Purple Fingerling
SOURCE AND COST OF SEED:  Central Market organic potatoes, spent about $1.00 for 5 small potatoes (about $2.99/lb)
YIELD:  Roundish potato, not oblong like the other fingerlings, about 5-6 potatoes per start, hard to find in the soil.  Smallest yield of all the fingerlings
GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS, TASTE, TEXTURE, ETC.:  Beautiful deep purple dense flesh, firm but not as firm as the other fingerlings, not as sweet as red potatoes are when first dug, but very good for boiling, frying, creaming, potato salad, etc.  Beautiful purple flesh raw, and deep lavender when cooked.  Good just boiled and eaten with a little salt and pepper.
NAME OF POTATO:  Ruby Garnet Fingerling
SOURCE AND COST OF SEED:  Central Market organic potatoes, spent about $1.00 for 5 small potatoes (about $2.99/lb)
YIELD:  Good crop of peach tone fingerling potatoes, 5-6 per start,  nice sized potatoes (toe sized)
GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS, TASTE, TEXTURE, ETC.:  Very dense flesh, firm, not as sweet as red potatoes are when first dug, but very good for boiling, frying, creaming, potato salad, etc.  Really lovely potato with a beautiful blush to its skin
**************************************************************************************
NAME OF POTATO:  Russian Yellow Fingerling
WHEN PLANTED:  Feb 15, small batch 3.15 (much less productive)
YIELD:  Lots of small fingerling potatoes, 8-10 per start, and more tiny ones as well (the later crop got shaded over by artichoke plants and was not as productive)
GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS, TASTE, TEXTURE, ETC.:  Very dense flesh, firm, not as sweet as red potatoes are when first dug, but very good for boiling, frying, creaming, potato salad, etc.  Holds shape well, nice flavor.
*************************************************************************************
NAME OF POTATO:  Yukon Gold
SOURCE AND COST OF SEED:  $3.59 or so for small seed potato bag at Home Depot
WHEN PLANTED:  March 1
WHEN HARVESTED:  June 1-3 (90+ days)
NOTE:  There was some potato production up in the mulch level (much more so than with the fingerlings).
YIELD:  Around 5 good sized (golf ball +) potatoes per planted start.  Over 12 lbs of potatoes from the 10 starts that cost under $4.00.
GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS, TASTE, TEXTURE, ETC.:  Good taste, fairly firm texture (not as dense as the fingerlings), golden-yellow flesh.  Nice potato with good flavor, good for boiling, creaming, frying, salad, etc.