Author Topic: Beware of the Squash Vine Borer  (Read 1206 times)

Offline sharon

Beware of the Squash Vine Borer
« on: May 16, 2014, 06:31 AM »
It's getting to be that season again. Sudden dying off of once healthy squash vines, particularly zucchini and yellow neck squash.

Here  is an article from University of Minnesota. I do not recommend any of the chemical treatments suggested. For the home gardener neem oil or insecticidal soap and constant stem inspection for the eggs may be sufficient. I was also intrigued by the use of yellow containers. (I've never  tried this.) I don't plant zucchini or yellow squash and instead plant scallop squash which seems to be less attractive to these pests.

I also wanted to see what the eggs looked like. Here is a link.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:51 AM by sharon »

Offline Berkley

Re: Beware of the Squash Vine Borer
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 11:21 PM »
Here's something that my brother-in-law picked up from a large organic farm in his area:
Place a sheet of aluminum foil with a slit cut in it flat on the ground surrounding the stem. Supposedly, the adults dislike the heat and reflection and will avoid laying eggs on squash plants thus protected.
While this does remind me of the common  schizophrenic delusion about wearing an aluminum foil cap to repel alien thought rays, at least one online source seems to back it up. "As soon as your hollow stem summer squash starts to lay down from the weight of the plant, place aluminum foil on the ground underneath the stem at the base to disorient arriving moths. This will result in minimizing the attraction of your garden to the moth". LINK
We are trying it, and will see if we are bothered by borers or alien radio waves. ;)

Offline Berkley

Re: Beware of the Squash Vine Borer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:24 PM »
As of today, our foil-protected squash plants have not been attacked by  borers and are still bearing. This is a record for us, and certainly is a welcome change from past years. So, a tip of the tin-foil hat to my brother-in-law!