Author Topic: Tomato fruitworm on BHN 602  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Berkley

Tomato fruitworm on BHN 602
« on: May 22, 2014, 12:48 PM »
While I hope our experience is not typical, our first results from the BHN 602 definitely did not live up to its publicity. >:(

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:15 AM by sharonrempert »

Offline Berkley

Re: Tomato fruitworm on BHN 602
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Today I discovered that whatever is causing the problem is not a disease specific to the variety, but rather is some sort of pest. Last night I studied the photos of the two tomatoes, and realized that both had a round hole on the upper surface (stem end). Today I looked on a Celebrity next to the BHN 602 and saw just such a hole in the same location on one of the green tomatoes. When I picked it, the underside and interior had the same necrotic tissue, although not as advanced as that on the two BHN tomatoes from yesterday. I dissected the Celebrity and found no evidence of any pest still inside it.
I have to conclude that whatever is causing the problem is a pest which hatches inside the tomato, eats its fill (causing the necrosis), and then chews its way out when it reaches the next stage of its development. I visited with Randy and Ila, but neither had any idea what the culprit might be.
I'll start searching the internet, and report back.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:14 AM by sharonrempert »

Offline Berkley

Re: Tomato fruitworm pn BHN 602
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 03:35 PM »
It seems we have an infestation of tomato fruitworms, AKA corn earworms. LINK
Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) is the recommended organic control. Off to look for Bt.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:37 PM by Berkley »

Offline Berkley

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 03:32 PM »
Found four more green tomatoes with holes near the stem. Upon dissection, all showed signs of being eaten on, but no pest to be found inside. Infestation seems to be localized to the one plant. Followed Bob Easter's suggestion of just spraying lower foliage of the infested and immediately surrounding plants with Bt. Overcast, but no rain, so a good day to apply Bt. Fingers crossed that this will halt the invasion.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:36 PM by Berkley »

Offline Berkley

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 08:10 PM »
Picked three ripe tomatoes today, but found no green tomatoes with holes. The Bt seems to be working, (knock on wood).